Are You Ready for This Upcoming Winter Storms?
Incoming winter storms can be an exciting time for everyone, with so much fun to be had playing in the snow, however winter storms can also bring a lot of problems if you aren’t prepared.
One of the biggest issues in winter storms is power loss. With ice on the trees and the snow getting heavy, branches inevitably fall and can take out power lines leaving you without electricity and potentially also no heat!
- Make sure that you and your family have plenty of flashlights and fresh batteries for them in case of a power outage, and most importantly make sure that everyone knows where they are in the house so that they’re easier to find when the lights go out and you need them most.
- If you know a storm is on the way, charge your devices (phones, computers, radios, etc.) before the storm hits, and consider purchasing a power bank for the extra boost in case you need it.
- Blankets and candles are important to keep around for warmth, just be sure to blow out your candles before you leave the room.
- Stock up on water and non-perishable foods as you may not be able to travel on the roads if the storm creates difficult driving conditions. It’s helpful to also have some food on hand that does not need to be cooked in case the power is out and you can no longer use your appliances.
- Always try to avoid traveling during a winter storm, but if you do have to travel during the storm always carry a blanket, water, some extra layers, and a fully charged cell phone in case you get stuck and need help.
Getting snowed in can sometimes be scary but as long as you’re prepared you can spend the time having fun with your family and not be concerned about your safety.