How to Prevent Water Damage Before it Happens
Water damage in the home is the number 1 insurance claim for homeowners. Preventing these claims could in the end save you a lot of stress, time, and money. Here are some easy tips for preventing water damage to your home.
5 Tips for Preventing Water Damage
- Check your plumbing - clanky pipes, moisture on the floor or walls, or wet dirt around your home could be signs of plumbing issues or leaks
- During the colder months, be sure to let your faucets drip to avoid freezing over. Insulate exposed pipes to help keep them from bursting and cover your outdoor hose bibs with an insulated cover.
- Give your hot water heater regular maintenance and attention to ensure it is functioning properly and is damage-free.
- Make sure you install a sump pump in your basement to avoid backups and water intrusion to filling u your space. If your home is older, consider installing a backflow system to prevent sewage backup.
- Pour your bacon and other food greases in a jar and then discard after it hardens. Never pour down the drain or it will harden and clog your pipes.
If you experience water damage in your home, call our team at SERVPRO of Richmond and SERVPRO of Henrico to address your issues quickly and professionally.